- Date: 15th century
- 1 : a tubular anatomical passage or channel : duct
- 2 : channel, watercourse
- 3 : an artificial waterway for navigation or for draining or irrigating land
- 4 : any of various faint narrow lines on the planet Mars seen through telescopes and once thought by some to be canals built by Martians
- 1. Aqueduct (or water conveyance) canals that are used for the conveyance and delivery of fresh water, for human consumption, agriculture, etc.
- 2. Waterway canals that are navigable transportation canals used for carrying ships and boats loaded with goods and people, often connected to existing lakes, rivers, or oceans.