(Redirected from Eventful)
- 1. something that happens or is regarded as happening; an occurrence, esp. one of some importance.
- 2. the outcome, issue, or result of anything: The venture had no successful event.
- 3. something that occurs in a certain place during a particular interval of time.
- 4. Physics. in relativity, an occurrence that is sharply localized at a single point in space and instant of time. Compare world point.
- 5. Sports. any of the contests in a program made up of one sport or of a number of sports: The broad jump event followed the pole vault.
- 6. in any event, regardless of what happens; in any case. Also, at all events.
- 7. in the event of, if there should be: In the event of rain, the party will be held indoors.
- 8. in the event that, if it should happen that; in case: In the event that I can't come back by seven, you can eat without me.
1560–70; < L ēventus occurrence, outcome, equiv. to ēven(īre) to occur, come out + -tus suffix of v. action
- 1. happening, affair, case, circumstance. Event, episode, incident, occurrence are terms for a happening. An event is usually an important happening: historical events. An episode is one of a series of happenings in a person's life or in a narrative: an episode in one's life. An incident is an event of usually minor importance: an amusing incident in a play. An occurrence is something that happens, often by surprise: His arrival was an unexpected occurrence.
- 2. consequence.