(Redirected from Fascinating)
from Latin fascinat- ppl. stem of fascinare to enchant, f. fascinum spell, witchcraft. Cf. F. fasciner
- 1. trans. To affect by witchcraft or magic; to bewitch, enchant, lay under a spell. Obs.
- 2.a. To cast a spell over (a person, animal, etc.) by a look; said esp. of serpents.
- b. In later use disconnected from the notion of witchcraft: To deprive of the power of escape or resistance, as serpents are said to do through the terror produced by their look or merely by their perceived presence.
- b. To attract and retain the attention of (a person) by an irresistible influence.
- c. .Now usually, To attract and ‘hold spellbound’ by delightful qualities; to charm, enchant.