- 1: a surface decoration made by inlaying small pieces of variously colored material to form pictures or patterns; also : the process of making it
- 2: a picture or design made in mosaic
- 3: something resembling a mosaic <a mosaic of visions and daydreams and memories — Lawrence Shainberg>
- 4: an organism or one of its parts composed of cells of more than one genotype : chimera
- 5: any of numerous virus diseases of plants characterized by diffuse light and dark green or yellow and green mottling of the foliage — compare tobacco mosaic virus
- 6: a composite map made of photographs taken by an aircraft or spacecraft
- 7: the part of a television camera tube consisting of many minute photoelectric particles that convert light to an electric charge
Mosaic is the art of creating images with an assemblage of small pieces of colored glass, stone, or other materials. It may be a technique of decorative art, an aspect of interior decoration, or of cultural and spiritual significance as in a cathedral. Small pieces, normally roughly cubic, of stone or glass of different colors, known as tesserae, (diminutive tessellae), are used to create a pattern or picture.