(Redirected from Persevered)
- 1. Fixed or secure in position. a. Of a person, esp. a soldier in battle: Maintaining his ground. (Now with mixture of sense 2.) Also, of a battle: Fought without change of position.
- b. Fixed in abode. Obs. rare.
- c. Of a thing, e.g. a pillar, a foundation: Firmly fixed, not to be moved or displaced. Also in fig. context. Obs. exc. in rhetorical language (of the earth, etc.).
- d. Of the hands: Steady, not tremulous. Also of shooting: Steady. Obs.
- e. Of a pain: Not changing its position. Obs.
- f. Solid; firm in substance. Obs.
- g. Unshaken in health. Obs.
- h. steadfast land: the mainland, as opposed to an island. Obs. [Cf. G. festland.]
- 2. Of persons: Unshaken, immoveable in faith, resolution, friendship, etc. Also said of belief, purpose or affection. Occas. const. to.
- b. Applied to God: Unchanging. Obs.
- c. In bad sense: Confirmed, incorrigible. Obs.
- 3. Of a law, a treaty, an institution, a condition of things: Firmly settled, established, unchangeable.
- b. Of a language: Settled. Obs.