- 1: cause (someone) to feel confused because they cannot understand or make sense of something : one remark he made puzzled me |( puzzling) that was the most puzzling aspect of the whole affair.
- [ intrans. ] think hard about something difficult to understand or explain : she was still puzzling over this problem when she reached the office.
- (puzzle something out) solve or understand something by thinking hard.
- 1:a game, toy, or problem designed to test ingenuity or knowledge. See riddle .
- 2: [usu. in sing. ] a person or thing that is difficult to understand or explain; an enigma : the meaning of the poem has always been a puzzle.
A puzzle is a problem or enigma that tests the ingenuity of the solver. In a basic puzzle, one is intended to put together pieces in a logical way in order to come up with the desired solution. Puzzles are often contrived as a form of entertainment, but they can also stem from serious mathematical or logistical problems — in such cases, their successful resolution can be a significant contribution to mathematical research.
Solutions to puzzles may require recognizing patterns and creating a particular order. People with a high inductive reasoning aptitude may be better at solving these puzzles than others. Puzzles based on the process of inquiry and discovery to complete may be solved faster by those with good deduction skills.
Union with God is, in the eternal scale of things, an event just now at your fingertips. At least this is true subsequent to making the supreme decision regarding your relationship with God and the service of his love. With this decision behind you though, there is a whole new array of adjustments to be made. These are numerous, and, in a sense is like this: prior to your supreme choice, your spiritual progress is like a jigsaw puzzle where all the parts are still in the box, and all the potential is there for attainment. Your supreme decision is equivalent to spilling the pieces out onto the table.
Now begins a great process of assembly. Yet, without opening the box, none of the adjustments could be made. To have lifted the lid is the most important thing and begins the inevitable attainment of union, that of assembling, perceiving, and in this case, becoming that big picture. This is an event of eternal consequence, and its time orientation is insignificant relative tothe eternal ramifications. Diligent and careful work in cooperation with God brings the event nearer at hand. Your hankering for this will in no way bring you any closer to the event itself, but your alignment with truth, your love for beauty, and your living goodness will go further in bringing about this event than merely wanting it. - Lantarnek