- 1: better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual: they always made a special effort at Christmas.
- 2: exceptionally good or precious: she's a very special person.
- 3: belonging specifically to a particular person or place: we want to preserve our town's special character.
- 4: designed or organized for a particular person, purpose, or occasion: we will return by special coaches.
- 5: (of a subject) studied in particular depth.
- 6: used to denote education for children with particular needs, especially those with learning difficulties.
- 7: in mathematics denoting a group consisting of matrices of unit determinant.
In stage lighting, a special refers to a lighting instrument that is used for a very specific purpose, rather than being a part of a system of light such as an area light or color wash. It is typically, although not always, used alone, or at a higher level than the other instruments. Specials can also be used to highlight specific objects onstage, such as a piece of furniture, or to fill in gaps which are not covered by the less specific area lights. Specials can also be instruments used to create a very specific effect onstage, such as sunlight through a window, or the rotation of gobos. Specials are generally placed on their own circuit, dimmer, and channel so they can be independently controlled.
Beyond the poor attraction of the special love relationship, and always obscured by it, is the powerful attraction of the Father for His Son. There is no other love that can satisfy you, because there is no other love. This is the only love that is fully given and fully returned. Being complete, it asks nothing. Being wholly pure, everyone joined in it has everything. This is not the basis for any relationship in which the ego enters. For every relationship on which the ego embarks is special. - The Needless Sacrifice