From Nordan Symposia
(Redirected from Born)Jump to navigationJump to search
[Middle English, from Old Norse byrth; akin to Old English beran Date: 13th century
- 1 a : the emergence of a new individual from the body of its parent
- 2 : a state resulting from being born especially at a particular time or place <a Southerner by birth>
- 3 a : lineage, extraction <marriage between equals in birth>
- b : high or noble birth
- 4 a archaic : one that is born
- b : beginning, start <the birth of an idea>
Birth (calving in livestock and some other animals, whelping in carnivorous mammals) is the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring . The offspring is brought forth from the mother. Different forms of birth are oviparity, vivipary or ovovivipary.
The term birth is used metaphorically to refer to a beginning, especially of a natural phenomenon, one that is impressive in its scope or complexity, or one that is viewed favorably.