Gale, formerly Thomson Gale was a part of the Thomson Learning division of the Thomson Corporation, and is based in Farmington Hills, Michigan, in the western suburbs of Detroit. In 2007 it became part of Cengage Learning and is now called Gale or Gale CENGAGE Learning. The company, previously known as Gale Research and the Gale Group, is active in research and educational publishing for public and academic libraries, schools and businesses. The company is probably best known for its full-text magazine and newspaper database InfoTrac; for its multi-volume reference works, especially in the areas of religion, history and social science; and its online databases commonly available in schools and libraries. Founded in Detroit in 1954 by Frederick Gale Ruffner and acquired by Thomson in 1985.
Gale print imprints include the reference brands Macmillan Reference USA, Charles Scribner's Sons, Primary Source Microfilm, Scholarly Resources Inc., Schirmer Reference, St. James Press, The TAFT Group and Twayne Publishers. Five Star Publishing is Gale's fiction imprint, with hundreds of books in print in the Western, Romance, Mystery and Science Fiction & Fantasy genres. Gale also sells into the K-12 market with several imprints, including U·X·L, Greenhaven Press, KidHaven Press, Lucent Books, and others.
In 1999, Thomson Gale acquired Thorndike Press, a publisher of large print books. In 2000 it acquired the Munich-based K.G. Saur Verlag, but then sold it to Gruyter GmbH & Co. KG in 2006. Gale also owns large print publishers Walker Large Print and Wheeler Publishing.
On October 25, 2006 Thomson Corporation announced that it intended to wholly divest the Thomson Learning division, because, in the words of Thomson CEO Richard Harrington, "it does not fit with our long-term strategic vision". Thomson has said that it expected this sale to generate approximately US$5 billion. The company was bought by a private equity consortium consisting of Apax Partners and OMERS Capital Partners for US$7.75 billion and the name was changed from Thomson Learning to Cengage Learning on 24 July 2007.Library Journal, June 1, 2007 – "Thomson Gale Part of Larger Sale", by Norman Oder
In October 2007, Cengage Learning announced the appointment of Patrick C. Sommers as president of Gale, effective October 22]], 2007.Cengage Learning Names Patrick C. Sommers President of Gale
Gale provides access to over 100 different online databases, some of which are updated daily. Some databases have overlapping information but are targeted towards different markets such as K-12 schools, or public libraries. Clients choose which databases they wish to subscribe to, such as:
- HighBeam Research (acquired in December 2008)
- Book Review Index - Index of book reviews and literary criticism, found in leading academic, popular, and professional periodicals, published since 1965.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InfoTrac [InfoTrac]
- Gale Virtual Reference Library - Database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources
- Military & Intelligence Database
- GaleNet - Numerous databases providing in-depth articles and analysis in a variety of subjects including business, literature, genealogy, history, health, social sciences and science
- History Resource Center - Journals, Reference titles, and primary source documents
- General OneFile - One-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics. Millions of full-text articles from 1980-present, many with images.
- Associations Unlimited - Database with 460,000 international and U.S. national, regional, state, and local nonprofit membership organizations in all fields, including IRS data on U.S. 501(c) nonprofit organizations
- Health and Wellness Resource Center - Access to medical reference materials, including nearly 400 health/medical journals, reference volumes, and over 700 health videos from partner Healthology, Inc. Also indexes hundreds of pamphlets and health-related articles from 2,200 general interest publications, as well as some other Gale reference titles.
- AccessMyLibrary — web access to Thomson databases for patrons of public and school libraries
- Cengage Learning - current corporate entity
- Dictionary of Literary Biography published by Thomson Gale
- Encyclopaedia Judaica published by Thomson Gale
- New Catholic Encyclopedia published by Thomson Gale
- Gale - Helping Libraries Prepare for the 21st Century - inforum.cz - Retrieved February 23, 2009
- McCracken, Jeffrey. "Gale Research to merge. (merger between Gale Research Co. and The Thompson Group)." Crain's Detroit Business. Crain Communications, Inc. September 21, 1998. Retrieved February 23, 2009 from HighBeam Research: https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-21199527.html
- Library Journal, June 1, 2007 – "Thomson Gale Part of Larger Sale", by Norman Oder
- Cengage Learning Names Patrick C. Sommers President of Gale