From Nordan Symposia
(Redirected from Transmitted)Jump to navigationJump to search
- I. 1. a. trans. To cause (a thing) to pass, go, or be conveyed to another person, place, or thing; to send across an intervening space; to convey, transfer.
- b. intr. (for refl.) To pass to the heirs.
- 2. fig. To convey or communicate (usually something immaterial) to another or others; to pass on, esp. by inheritance or heredity; to hand down.
- 3. Physics and Mech. To cause (light, heat, sound, etc.) to pass through a medium; also, of a medium, to allow (light, etc.) to pass through; to conduct. Also, to convey (force or movement) from one part of a body, or of mechanism, to another. Also fig.
- b. To send out electric signals or electromagnetic waves corresponding to (an image, a programme, etc.).
- II. 4. Radio. The infin. used, freq. attrib., in the sense ‘transmission’; so on transmit, of a transceiver: in the state of being able to transmit radio signals, with the transmitter switched on; transmit button, switch, the button or switch used to activate the transmitter; also ellipt. Hence transmitted ppl. a.; transmitting vbl. n. and ppl. a.; transmitting station, a building or establishment from which radio or television signals are transmitted.